Report: Student Action for Social Change: Mapping the Present to Build the Future
Dr. Daphna Golan, Prof. Jona Rosenfeld
Shiri Ben Yosef, Hanaa Knaneh, Yael Rosenfeld, Danny Schrire, Ben Schwartz
Hebrew University of Jerusalem, May 2005
Complete Report in English
Complete Report in Hebrew
Report: Academy-Community Partnership for Social Change - A Study and Evaluation of Eleven Academic Courses (in Hebrew)
Dr. Israel Katz, Peleg Dor-Haim, Eyal Mazliach and Linda jacob
Zofnat Institute, August 2007
Summary of the report in English
Complete report in Hebrew
Recommended Resources in English
- Addes, D. & Keene, A. (2006.0 Grassroots community development at UMass Amherst: The professorless classroom. In Students as colleagues: Expanding the Circle of Service-Learning Leadership, E. Zlotkowski, N. Longo & J. R. Williams (Eds.), Providence, RI: Campus Compact, pp. 227-240.
- Ash, S.L, and P.H. Clayton. (2004.) The articulated learning: an approach to guided reflection and assessment. Innovative Higher Education 29 (2): 137-154.
- Astin, Alexander W., Vogelgesang, Lori J., Ikeda, Elaine K., & Yee, Jennifer A. 2000. How service learning affects students. Los Angeles: Higher Education Research Institute, University of California – Los Angeles.
- Beaumont, E., A. Colby, E. Thomas and J. Torney-Purta. 2006. Promoting political competence and engagement in college students: An empirical study. Journal of Political Science Education 2(3): 249-270.
- Billig, Shelley H. and Eyler, Janet. (Eds.) (2003). Deconstructing service-learning: Research exploring context, participation and impacts. Greenwich, CN: Information Age Publishing.
- Boyte, Harry C. & Farr, James. (1997.) The work of citizenship and the problem of service learning. In Experiencing citizenship, Battistoni, Richard & Hudson, William (Eds.). Washington: American Association of Higher Education.
- Burawoy, Michael. (2005.) 2004 Presidential address: For public sociology. American Sociological Review 70: 4-28.
- Campus Compact. (2000.) Introduction to service-learning toolkit: Readings and resources for faculty. Providence, Rhode Island: Campus Compact, Brown University.
- Colby, Anne, Beaumont, Elizabeth, Erlich, Thomas and Corngold, Josh. (2007). Educating for democracy: Preparing undergraduates for responsible political engagement. San Francisco: Jossey Bass.
- Galston, William. (2001.) Political knowledge, political engagement and civic education. Annual Review of Political Science 4: 217-234.
- Giles, D.W. and J. Eyler. (1999.) Where's the learning in service learning? San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishing.
- Gleit, Heidi J. (2007.) Social Connections. Scopus, 18-19.
- Golan, Daphna. (2010.) Between Human Rights and Hope – What Israelis Might Learn from the Truth and Reconciliation Process in South Africa. International Review of Victimology, 17: 31–48
- Kaufman, Roni. (2006.) A University-Community Partnership to Change Public Policy: Pre-Conditions and Processes. Journal of Community Practice, 12 (3-4): 163-180.
- Lazarus, J., Erasmus, M., Hendricks, D., Nduna, J. and Slamat, J. (2008). Embedding community engagement in South African higher education. Education, Citizenship and Social Justice. 3(1): 59-85.
- Ostrander, Susan A. (2004.) Democracy, civic participation and the university: A comparative study of civic engagement on five campuses. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 33 (1): 74-93.
- Shlesinger, Miriam. (2007) Making the most of settling for less. Forum – Journal of Translation Studies, 5(2): 147-170.
- Shlesinger, Miriam. (2010.) Medical Interpreting for Improved Health Care, Bar Ilan University.
- Stanton, Timothy K., Giles Jr., Dwight E., Cruz, Nadinne I. (1999.) Service learning: A movement's pioneers reflect on its origins, practice, and future. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers.
- Strier, Roni. (2011). The construction of university-community partnerships: Entangled perspectives. Higher Education, volume 62(1).
- Watson, David., Hollister, Robert., Stroud, Susan E., and Babcock, Elizabeth (2011). The engaged university: International perspectives on civic engagement. Routledge
- Welch, Marshall and Billig, Shelley H. (Eds.) (2004). New perspectives in service-learning: Research to advance the field. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Civic Engagement in Higher Education: Concepts and Practices (Jossey-Bass Higher and Adult Education) [Hardcover]
- Service-Learning in Theory and Practice: The Future of Community Engagement in Higher Education [Paperback] Dan W. Butin (Author)
- The Unheard Voices: Community Organizations and Service Learning [Paperback]
Randy Stoecker (Editor), Elizabeth A. Tryon (Editor)
- Civic Responsibility and Higher Education Thomas Ehrlich
- Higher Education and Civic Engagement: Comparative Perspectives [Hardcover]
Lorraine McIlrath (Editor), Ann Lyons (Editor), Ronaldo Munck (Editor)
another possible publisher
American Behavioral Scientist
In 2000 the journal dedicated a special issue to service-learning:
Marullo, Sam and Bob Edwards (eds.) (2000). Service-Learning Pedagogy as Universities' Response to Troubled Times. Special issue of American Behavioral Scientist 43: 741-912.
Journal of Community Practice
In 2004 the journal dedicated a special issue to campus-community partnerships:
Soska, Tracy M. and Johnson Butterfield, Alice K. (eds.) (2004). University-Community Partnerships: Universities in Civic Engagement. Special issue ofJournal of Community Practice 12.
Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning
Since 1994, publishes research, theory and pedagogy articles related to higher education academic service-learning and since 2009 has expanded to include articles about campus-community partnerships and faculty-engaged scholarship.
National Service Learning Clearinghouse
Innovations in Civic Participation – Resource Center