2015 - Post-doctoral studies, Center for Criminology, Faculty of Law, Oxford University. Advisor: Prof. Julian V. Roberts.
2012-2014 - PhD in Law, Bar-Ilan University. Dissertation: The paroling authority and its discretion over sentencing, Advisor: Prof. Ruth Kannai.
2011-2012 - LLM in Law, Bar-Ilan University (magna cum laude).
2005-2009 -LLB in Law, Bar-Ilan University (magna cum laude) ; BA in Criminology (minor), Bar-Ilan University (magna cum laude).
Chapters in Collections
- Dagan, N. & Kannai, R. (2017). Multiple offending sentencing and proportionality, in O. Gordon ed., Justice Edmond Levi Festschrift, pp. 613-656. Nevo (Hebrew).
- Roberts, J.V & Dagan,, N. (2019). The evolution of retributive punishment: From just deserts to responsive penal censure, in A. du Bois-Pedain & A. Bottoms, eds., Penal censure: Engagements within and beyond desert theory, 141-159. Oxford: Hart (equal contribution).
- Dagan, N. & Dancig-Rosenberg, H. (2020). Character retribution as a brake on risk-driven criminal justice, in J. Pratt & J. Anderson eds., Criminal justice, Risk and the revolt against uncertainty. pp. 69-89. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Dagan, N. (2021). Imprisonment in modern Jewish law: Between penology and ideology, in A. Barak et al. eds., Justice Elyakim Rubinstein Festschrift, pp. 323-358 (Nevo, 2021) (Hebrew).
- Dagan, N. & Baron, S. (2022). Mercy, sentencing and algorithms, in J.V. Roberts & J. Ryberg eds., Principled sentencing and artificial intelligence, 145-164. Oxford University Press.
- Dagan, N. (forthcoming, 2023) Conceptions of rehabilitation: Welfare, moral reform and risk, in A. Barak et al. eds., Justice Miriam Naor Festschrift. Nevo (Hebrew).
- Shalev, S. & Dagan, N. (forthcoming, 2023). Solitary confinement and social rehabilitation: A contradiction in terms, in F., Coppola ed., Social rehabilitation and criminal justice. Routledge Press.
- Roberts, J. V. & Dagan, N. (forthcoming, 2023). Rewarding virtue: An ethical defence of plea-based sentence reductions, in J.V. Roberts & J. Ryberg eds., The ethics of guilty plea mitigation. Oxford: Hart.
- Dagan, N. & Segev, D. (2015). Retributive whisper: Communicative elements in parole, Law & Social Inquiry, 40, 611-630 (2015).
- Netanel Dagan, Exploring prison law neglect, Tel-Aviv University Journal of Law & Social Change (Maasei Mishpat) 7, 107-127 (2015). (Hebrew)
- Dagan, N. (2015). The influence of plea bargain on parole, Hebrew University Journal of Legislation (Hukim) 6, 111-147 (Hebrew).
- Dagan, N. (2015) Balancing Sentencing and Parole, Bar-Ilan University Law Review (Mechkarei Mishpat), 30, 73-127 (Hebrew)
- Dagan, N. (2016). The Subjective experience of the punishment: Normative and policy issues, Israel Journal of Criminology (Kriminologia Israleit) 5, 55-81 (Hebrew).
- Dagan, N. & Roberts, J.V. (2019). Retributivism, penal censure, and life imprisonment without parole, Criminal Justice Ethics, 38, 1-18.
- Dancig-Rosenberg, H. & Dagan, N. (2019), Retributarianism: A new individualization of punishment. Criminal Law & Philosophy, 13, 129-147 (equal contribution).
- Dagan, N. & Dancig-Rosenberg, H. (2019). Soft retribution, Haifa Law Review (Misphat Umimshal), 21, 1-43 (2019) (Hebrew).
- Dagan, N. (2021), Contrasting judicial conceptions of imprisonment purposes in the ECtHR and the Supreme Court of the United States, Criminology & Criminal Justice, 21, 633-649.
- Dagan, N. (2021), Prison discipline, additional days and the feasibility of penal communication. Social & Legal Studies, 30, 869-889.
- Bülow, W. & Dagan, N. (2021). The role of furlough and visitation within a retributivist framework, Punishment & Society, 23, 376-393.
- Dagan, N. & Efodi, R. (2021). Rehabilitating ex-prisoners: History and policy, Society & Welfare (Chevera Vervacha) 41, 25-48 (2021) (Hebrew).
- Dagan, N. (2021). Parole as resentencing: Exploring the punitive accounts of parole decision-making through the comparative case study of Israel. European Journal of Criminology 1-20 (2021).
- Dagan, N. & Baron, S. (2021). After the gavel falls: Rethinking the relationship between sentencing and prison functions, Criminal Law & Philosophy 1-21.
- Dagan, N. (2021). Two concepts of prison purposes. Hebrew Univerisity Journal of Legislation (Hukim) 21, 9-48.
- Dagan, N. & Shalev, S. (2021). The role of Israeli judges in authorising solitary confinement placements, Punishment & Society 1-21 (2021)
- Zimran, A. & Dagan, N. (2022). Remedies for State agents’ misconduct in sentencing. Hebrew University Law Review (Mishpatim), 52, 169-215 (Hebrew)
- Dagan, N. (2022). Overcoming penal boundaries: Exploring retributive time through parole decision-making, British Journal of Criminology, 62, 37-54.
- Dagan, N. (2022). Human rights, aging and imprisonment. Social Security (Bitachon Soziali) 115, 67-92 (Hebrew).
- Ballas, I. & Dagan, N. (2022). Biscuits, the world cup, and Noble prizes: The puzzling documentation of Shin Bet interrogations. British Journal of Criminology 1-17 (equal contribution)
- Efodi, R. & Dagan, N. (2022). Rehabilitation, risk and parole: An empirical assessment. Israel Journal of Criminology (Kriminologia Israleit) 10, 119-138 (Hebrew).
- Dagan, N. (2022). Enemy parole, Punishment & Society 1-21.
- Dagan, N. (2022). Rehabilitation in retributive criminal justice system, Israel Journal of Criminology (Kriminologia Israleit) 10, 139-159 (2022) (Hebrew).
- Dagan, N. & Sabato, D. (2022). The dual face of offfender’s confession in Jewish law, Tel-Aviv Univeristy Journal of Jewish Law (Dinei Israel) 37, 3-43 (2022) (equal contribution) (Hebrew).
- Dagan, N. (2022). Negotiating penal hybridity: Time-space boundary-work in parole decision-Making. Theoretical Criminology 1-20 (2022)
- Weiss-Dagan, S., Dagan, N. & Krumer-Nevo, M. (forthcoming, 2023), Criminalizing beggers, Social Security (Bitachon Soziali) (Hebrew).
- Dagan, N. (forthcoming, 2023). Recidivism in Jewish penal theory, Israel Journal of Criminology (Kriminologia Israelit) (Hebrew).
- Dagan, N. (2015), Looking beyond risk in paroling denying prisoners: A response to Assy and Menashe, Criminal Justice & Behavior, 42, 872-882.